Sunday, March 28, 2004

Today he ate from a spoon

I took him downtown today to visit Chris (Mike was helping Colin with his room). Emmett was so good as usual, even though I wasn't paying as much attention to him as if we were alone. We took him over to Starbucks and he was adorable. I felt so proud to have such a cute baby. I feel like he makes me look good. A lot of the time, I try to look good for Emmett so that he has a cute mom.

Anyway, usually, when I go down there, I get Greek food from South Street Slouvaki. I got my favorite, Ogolemonal soup (sp) and brought it back to Chris' house. I gave Emmett a taste. He broke in to a huge smile after about 20 seconds of confusion and strange facial expressions. Then he demanded more. Eventually, I was filling up tiny spoonfuls.

It was so unbelievabley cute. He LOVED it. Last Sunday, I gave him a few little tastes of pizza sauce (which he also loved). At our appointment last week, the doctor said that we should begin mixing his milk with cerael and then move on to vegetables. In LA, they encouraged moms to nurse for a year. Here their attitude is to stop after 6 months. I'm confused. But after today, I'm beginning to think that it is becoming natural for Emmett to want something other than milk. He is always watching us eat.

He also loves having his legs bare. He is always wanting us to take off his pans and onsie and he wants to be either naked or just with a diaper on. He loves to kick his legs and I play with him. I felt like a good mom today because even at Chris' house I was giving him attention. I adore him. Its hard for me to imagine that everyone doesn't love him as much as I do. But I know its impossible. I know it from other parents. I don't enjoy other people's kids at all. I don't usually think they're that cute — particularly not cute enought to change and deal with their germy, dirty smells etc. I always think that Emmett is so different from other kids. But I know it can't po9ssibly be true.

I'm amazed at how no one really asks me much about him — not even patronizingly. I remember before I had him promising myself I would not talk about him all the time. And I don't. In fact, I rarely talk about him with friends. I never want my son to be a boring topic for anyone. I love him far too much to have any kind of bordem associated with him. But it's almost like people forget that I even have a kid. Its bizzare.

So this blog is working out so well for me. I can write down all my thoughts. I don't have to hang out with overly mommed moms, and I can get it out of my system. I had started a written book, but in the end, I can add these pages to that one and I'll have something to give to Emmett for when he is an adult.

I am afraid to have another child. I feel that Emmett will always be my favorite. I don't think I could ever love anyone more than I love him. I'm going to peek in on him now. As I write that, I feel like a 7 year old that sees the banana split she ordered, on its way to her booth.
Posted by:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>