Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Like a Christmas Tree

If you're a little off, like we are, than your choice in a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife is kind of like a Christmas tree from an "choose any for $20" kind of place.

You go through, examining each Christmas tree, and then you find it's flaw. Eventually, you find a tree with a flaw that you don't mind. In many cases, a flaw that you think is cute. And suddenly, you connect with that tree. That's our tree...isn't it cute? ...you say to yourself. And you put the tree up and you end up almost loving that flaw, because that flaw is what made the tree YOUR tree and makes you think it's like the Charlie Brown tree or makes you feel like the tree is almost your pet.

It's the same way with choosing a mate. If you're off-beat, you aren't looking in the "perfect" category because it's boring. You're looking in the $20 buck tree section becuase those are the trees with character. And when you find a person you like, sometimes you actually like the bald spot...the same spot that so many people don't like.

Like for me with Mike. There are a few qualities in Mike that I ADORE that I know the general population proably wouldn't like. And the amazing thing is, that since I picked him and since I like those spots, other people seem to like them better too.

In other words, you could pick the thinnest tree on the lot and if you really love it, other people will see what you love and will be able to relate to it too.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

---------------------------------

That was well written, Elis! I long for the day to have what you and Mike have.
Colin | 01.19.05 - 10:59 am | #

still haven't taken the tree down in your living room, hmm?
Jess | 01.19.05 - 11:01 am | #

seriously, I like what you're saying and how you said it. it reminds me of the part about the rose in The Little Prince (which I just looked up):

To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think
that my rose looked just like you
--the rose that belongs to me.
But in herself alone she is more important
than all the hundreds of you
other roses: because it is she that I have watered;
because it is she
that I have put under the glass globe;
because it is for her
that I have killed the caterpillars
(except the two or three we saved
to become butterflies);
because it is she that I have listened to,
when she grumbled,
or boasted,
or even sometimes when she said nothing.
Because she is MY rose."
Jess | 01.19.05 - 11:03 am | #

Gravatar I know "She is MY rose" , so hard sometimes. Of course, most of you know that my situation is a bit complicated, but I am talking a lot to everybody and (attempting to ) keep my head .

Elisabeth, I am probably reading way too much into this, but thank you.
Thank you for your patience with me.
wayne | Homepage | 01.19.05 - 3:14 pm | #

Gravatar I think I need to print this out and tack it into my journal. So great, Elisabeth.
stacey | 01.19.05 - 7:43 pm | #

if i had that voice you talk about forwarning, i would have picked a christmas tree with a lot more earning potential, and less high maintenance.
chris | 01.21.05 - 7:01 pm | #

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>