Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The Chaos is Over.


Baptism


So, the baptism happened. There were a few major "snafus":

1. The room we booked the reception in was changed. The room we ended up in we never actually saw. This was OK because the room we were in was actually nicer than our original room.

2. A glass broke in the punch bowl so they had to get all new champagne punch

3. The sound system didn't work at first, so when we got there, there was about 20 minutes of no sound

4. 8 people didn't show. The Jekogians, Uncle Nick, Sally & Heather, told me they weren't coming, so I switched their table to make up for it at the last minute. (Yael had a baby). But then, Irene & Nick Tantaros didn't come (they said they were bringing their son)...so that was 3. Then Diane's kids (baby's Godmother) didn't show. 8 people all together.

5. The ceremony started 15 minutes late and ended when the reception was supposed to begin.

Even despite those things, it was very very elegant. The food was delicious (particularly the crab cakes). Aarron was an OUTSTANDING DJ and Kyle did a VERY PROFESSIONAL job of taking pictures. We have very good friends.

There was Greek dancing and before the toast,my father prefaced a prayer with a little reflection that brought (literally) tears to my eyes. He said that he's a Grandfather, of course, and he does what he can to entertain Emmett. But, he said, that while he's entertaining him he's noticed that Emmett will suddenly stop what he's doing, look at his mother, that I'll look back at him, and that Emmett's entire face will break into a joy that he couldn't describe. And that the bonding that takes place in the eyes of mother and child is something that cannot be described in words. The assurance and the joy that Emmett experiences, when he looks into my eyes, is something precious. If we could look to God that way, he said, then everything would be OK. Then he prayed. Of course, I was crying.

Prefacing this, the ceremony was beautiful. It started in the back of the church...Diane agreed to renoucning evil and ceremonies were done to renounce any evil. Then Emmett was brought to the front of the church and underwent several things. He was dunked 3 times in the water and he barely cried. He was incredibly good and everyone was whispering about it.

He also looked totally adorable.

All of the ceremony "stuff" was purchased by Diane and it was so, so beautiful. I could hardly believe it. Everything was custom-made and she thought of every detail. From navy edged towels, toys, a hair brush, special soap... Diane did an incredible job.

When we went home, we opened the gifts for Emmett -- mostly money and bonds. We also receieved a few outfits and some videos (from the Garson family).

We had the reception as a gift for Emmett and planned to just absorb the cost. Any gifts he received are going directly into an account we started when he was born. We just figured this was something we would just absorb and we were happy to do so. Then, something great happened. My Yaya Felia gave us $1000 to pay for the Christening and then my parents presented us with a card for $1000.00 to pay (almost) the other half of the Christening. Both were specified that these were gifts to pay for the Christening. I almost didn't know how to accept the gifts. In the end, Mike and I are so happy and blessed!

In any case, I am at peace that this has been done. And I think I'll write down why.

For years I had suffered with an heightened sense of supernatural activity, experienceing fear...seeing spirits...have demonic dreams...on a semi-regular basis. I was unable to be alone in any environment, for fear that something would happen -- that books would fly off shelves or that I would see something. I lived a life of complete fear (literally). For years, I'd "rebuked" these things and had prayed that God would take it away. In 2002, Mike and I came home from LA to visit my parents and I experienced this fear with all the lights on and Mike beside me. I was inconsably scared, feeling the presence of something in the room. He stayed up with me for a long time until I could fall asleep. During this visit, I also had a demonic dream that had me breathless and unable to speak. I woke up with a pounding heart.

I talked to my parents the next day. My mother has a history of this same sensitivity and we had some parallel experiences. -- they both knew and understood that this was very real. My father suggested I go to speak with his Priest. He was careful in his suggestion knowing that I was not really interested in the Orthodox chruch. I did it, expercting nothing.

We sat down with Father Anastasos and at first, he really didn't believe me I think. My mother stepped in and validated my history. I told him briefly about a few of teh things that happened to me and he pretty much believed me. He brought me into the church and preformed some rituals over me. I was swaying back and forth as he did, but I didn't think anything of it. There was nothing to note of it then.

Since that day in October, my entire life changed. I never had the kind of fear I had then. My dreams became more normal and I have seen nothing since.

I was able to receive that counsel because I was baptised as an infant in the Orthodox church. I want my children to have the same protection.

The Orthodox Wedding
This happened as well. It was lovely. I wore a gold brocade dress and had my hair up. Mike wore a gold shirt and gave me golden flowers. It was a lovely ceremony. My father was the sponsor. Mike and I moved our rings to the right side which is tradition for the Orthodox church. We both feel complete about it and are both very glad it has happened.

Afterwards, my parents treated 15 of us to a delicious champagne brunch at the Mendenhall Inn. It was wonderful and I feel so very blessed by them.

We found a car
A 1992 Honda Civic, sage in color, with under 100,000 miles. 2300. We got along very well with the people that sold it to us and we both felt it was a great car. We are finalizing the deal now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>