Sunday, July 18, 2004

Annual Review.

It seems terribly unfair.

You go to work, get projects, achieve milestones, and have something to show for it...a good design, a comprehensive report, a good filing system...

I stay at home and, raise Emmett, and I do have something to show for it...but it's not tangible so it doesn't feel like anything. Emmett's happy personality is a result of his genetic structure and "we're so very lucky...he's such a good baby". There's nothing that can be attributed to the work that I put into him. If he turns out well, he's "a good seed". The most credit I'll ever get is that he came from a good family. Which is something.

This is a thankless job in some ways, and although rewarding, in the end I feel unacomplished. The lines between what my parenting is contributing to Emmett and what his "natural personality" is contributing to who he is, is a very blurry line. If he turns out well, he's "smart" or "gifted". But it will be very easy to blame me if something goes wrong like "he was spoiled" or "he's dysfunctional".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>