Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Emmett's OK and I had a weird virus.

It turns out that Emmett is (so far) OK, just a little anemic. They told me to get him onto formula and make sure that his food contains meat. It's funny how opposite everything we've ever heard that advice is. So, I'm down to nursing twice a day (morning and night) and am giving him bottles during the day. He's already gained a few pounds..and inches...in (literallY) a matter of weeks.

When Emmett got his bloodwork (3 tubes and not a tear), I got some bloodwork done too. It turns out that I had this virus that affects people in a similar way that mono affects them -- causing extreme fatigue. The virus is called the Epstein-Barr virus. There's a little info on it below:


Epstein-Barr virus

The Epstein-Barr virus is a common virus that infects almost everyone by the age of 40 and usually does not cause any illness. However, it can cause mononucleosis (mono) and is associated with some types of cancer (Burkitt's lymphoma and cancers of the mouth).

The virus lives in a person's salivary glands and can be spread through saliva (such as by kissing or sharing drinking glasses or eating utensils).


Mike definitely already has it. Apparantly this virus flairs up when yhou push yourself too hard. I can identify 2 times that I know I had a flair up. Apparantely one becomes fatigued during a flair up.

Hang on Emmett's crying.l.more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>