Thursday, January 27, 2005

Never Assume Making Jokes in Blog Comments Works Well

VISUAL AID


Jessica just called me and in a roundabout way asked if I was mad at her.Why? Due to a very strange misunderstanding in blogworld today. I've decided to share it.

My friend, a clever-witted, "always gets the joke no matter how minor the reference" friend today wrote a blog entry in which she spelled "seem"..."see". It was obviously a typo and unlike sentenses such as
"He will lead the rest of those who parished" (rather than perished), her mistake didn't even remotely lead to new meaning in the sentence. However, I just HAD to point it out to her and wanted to do it in a clever way. So here's what happened:

To follow along, you must go to THIS LINK on her blog. IMPORTANT: To get the full effect, read my caption, then her blog, my caption, then her blog..etc.

1. Jessica: Jessica writes in her blog
I can't tell if the lyrics are objectively good, or if the music makes them see better than they are. What do you think, people.

2. Elisabeth:I note that she has a misspelling on "see" and that it (kindof) makes a little bit of a new sentence. "Joke worthy" I decided, and I wrote a note in her comments (See second of my posts) making reference to "studies that link music to eyesight". I thought she would reread her post and "catch on".

3. Jessica:
Not catching on and trying to figure out why I'd make such a random comment, (See her response) Jessica refered to me as "Professor", jostling me for throwing in such a strange fact.


4. Elisabeth: Recognizing that she was "not getting it", I responded (3rd post) by acting like a professor, including her typo line and saying that her sentence was gramatically incorrect in an effort to really show her what I was getting at and drive me unfunny joke home once and for all.

4. Jessica: She read it and thought that I was responding angrily. She felt that I misunderstood her sentence and thought that she had meant to write "see" rather than "seem" and that I truly believed she had made a gross gramatical error. She thought that I was pissed off that she called me "professor" and that I was sharply responding by saying she "quickly referenced" my studies and that she really had made a terrible error in grammar.

Then, I received the call...Rather than posting, she cut to the chase and wanted to know if I was mad.

All this goes to say, you have to make your blog comments really obvious if you expect them to be understood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>