Friday, April 16, 2004

You had your first haircut.

Dear Emmett,

I have a few minutes without you. Your dad took you to go pick up Mom-Mom from the train. She's coming to spend the weekend with us. I keep feeling like I need to check on you, but you're not here. Its making me realize that you and I are never apart and I almost don't know how to handle this time without you.

Today, we cleaned, I gave you a bath (you were very good) and then, I cut your hair. You see, you had these two long pieces that were growing over the rest of your hair, right on either side of your ear, and it didn't look good. A friend said "Don't you want him to have longish hair". "Yes" I replied. "I'd be open to the whole overgrown look, but this simply didn't look good". And it didn't. Oddly, these two pieces of hair were making you look bald. I'm not sure why. You were very good through the cut, Daddy videotaped it and its all documented.

Other Nicknames:
Mommy's Little Helper (when you are "helping" me change your diaper)
Mommy's Good Boy (whenever you are being a good boy)

Speaking of "Mommy's Little Helper", we are having a real problem with constipation -- well, you are. You simply cannot go. You try. We try to show you that we're "in it" with you, yet you cannot go. You have passed 3 or 4 very hard, orange poops. I think it was too soon for so many sweet potatos.

Today, we tried Squash. You like it. But carrots are your standing favorite.

Tonight, your father and I are going out to see a few bands play. The first, Colin and Dave and Aunt Ana are in. They were called Senioritis, but now they don't know what they're calling themselves. We're meeting Wayne (Nate's dad) and we may all head down to Philly to someone's CD release party. I'm not sure what's up. Anyway, we're not taking you with us. You're gonna stay with Mom Mom tonight.

I've decided that with each post, I'll write some kind of memory or incident that happened before you were born. Maybe soemthing that happened to me. Maybe something that happened to your father and me. Maybe something that happened to your father. Maybe something that I'm just learning. Anyway, I don't know what to call this section yet, so for the moment, I'll call it Memories Before 2003.

Memories Before 2003 - Turkish Delight

Before your father and I were dating, we were part of the same church and part of the same cell group (home meeting type of thing). Uncle Colin was in that same cell group and was actually the leader of it. Anyway, each week we'd meet and as the weeks wore on, I knew I was in love with Dad. He was cool, together and smart. When he said something, everyone listened becuase he was almost always right. Anyway, for awhile we were reading the book "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" as a group. Each week, we'd read the book outloud together (you should read the book. It's very good and easy to read). Anyway, one week, your father timed it so that his "turn" reading out loud would be the part in which the Queen brings out "Turkish Delight". And as he read the words, he reached behind hiim and pulled out a plate of authentic Turkish Delight. We were BLOWN AWAY. I could hardly believe how cool he was for doing that. I found out later, that he'd spent the afternoon in search of Turkish Delight. He wanted to impress me and he did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>