Saturday, April 24, 2004

You kept us up all night.

Dear Emmett,

I'm not sure what's going on, but something happened last night that was different from any other night — ever. You woke up at 2:20 and cried for the next 4 hours on and off. Any time we made even the slightest illusion of going back to bed, you would freak out — almost acting as if we were harming you. Your father and I couldn't believe it. You wouldn't let us bring you into either bedroom. We had to be in the living room or the kitchen unless we were changing you which is something you continue to love. Finally, after Mike prayed (duh, why didn't we do that sooner) you fell asleep. It was 7:20 am.

You woke up at 9:00 and slept until 10:00 and then, you were up for the day. Daddy got up with you and when I groggily appeared at 11, the two of you were watching MTV. You looked at me and started laughing and smiling and then I said "Hang on Emmett" and I ran to go to the bathroom and you started crying, in such a betrayed kind of way. I felt awful and hurried as fast as I could. I nursed you and then we spent a very long day.

You napped once the entire day -- for under 1/2 hour. You hung outside with Yaya and Papou while they were gardening. You hung out with me while i was sewing. You hung out with daddy while he wasdoing computer stuff. And you listened to my whole conversation with Aunt Angela. Then, tonight we took you over to visit Aunt Jenny and Uncle Frank and Cooper. We put you in a baby swing, we played with this bubbling dog, with a truck, puppets...the works!
And you were a little grumpy, but you still had a good time.

I put you down 20 minutes ago and you were very good about it. I'm not surprised. You're exhausted.

It's been beautiful for the past two days. Yesterday was about 70. Today about 68. Yesterday, you, your father, Yaya and I all went to the Farmer's Market and as soon as we walked in, we were literally stopped by 6 or 7 old ladies that were like "Oh, he's adorable!" Mike and I felt like everyone was "waiting" for us to arrive. (Really, we had the disucssion. It was so strange). On the way home, Yaya led us on a wild goose chase to find a produce junction— which we did eventually find. And then, we came home, put you to sleep and Daddy and I watched TV.

Here are some changes you've made or ways that you've grown:

1. You want to "help" with baby food Yes, you do. You reach out to help by holding the spoon which is actually kind of difficult and begs a mess. I let you do it anyway and just deal with it.

2. You are waking up earlier each night with last night being the strangest example of them all. Jenny says that you are changing and that I wake you up before I go to sleep at night and nurse you...that you're changing again.

3. Tonight you were acting like a musician. I wish I'd had a video camera because I swear it's true. I had this lullaby music on and you were moving your fingers at first like you were playing the piano in the song, then like you were playing the guitar. Then, you moved your arms like you were conducting an orchestra. I couldn't believe it.

4. You had your first real solid food.It was a tiny bit of the eggy part of pastisio. Basically, you spit it out and almost threw up.

5. You are still the cutest baby on earth. According to Anthony, Anna Kratzer sent out an e-mail with your picture saying you were the cutest baby she'd ever seen and while we were having tea at Diane's tea house, the waitress went in the back and said that you were the cutest baby she'd ever seen. Oh you are!

Diane and Mom-Mom gave you two cute outfits recently.
Yaya and Papou bought you some really neat toys. You are loved by so many people Emmett. And you look so healthy emotionally. YOu are always smiling. You are easy to make laugh and you love it when people (ecspecially me) act funny.

Memories before Emmett was born
One night, your father took me on a date to an Italian restaurant. But sadly, it was only a few blocks from the area of the city we were living in and he wanted to make it very special. He told me to get dressed up (which I did) and he came to pick me up at 7. I got in the car and we drove for about 20 minutes when I realized that we were basically driving in circles. I brought it to his attention and he said that he wanted to make the date special and he felt it would be more special if the restaurant were further away.

It was a perfect evening and that restaurant became very special for us. We went back a few more times on a date and later, had our rehersal dinner at the same place. It was neat because all the cooking was done by this little old Italian lady that would actually come out and greet you. We loved it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>